Friday, April 15, 2005

SXSW Followup

I think I've finally recovered from South by Southwest. Out of the must see bands from my last post, I was able to check out:

* The Octopus Project - Local band, these guys/gal are great, will see again and again.

* Mono - Instrumental band out of Japan, think wall of sound/sonic landscapes, beautiful.

* Holy Fuck - Crazy ass band out of Toronto. Very experimental. Loved every second of it. Donated a glow stick to the main sound creator so he could read his tiny little casio.

* LCD Sound System - Line was around the block for hours before the show. M.I.A played 2 hours before them, there was now way to get into that show.

* The Kills - Saw them at a day show at the Red Eye Fly. Think "What would happen if Peter Murphy and Siouxsie Sioux decided to form a two piece band". The best show of SXSW.

* Viva K - Not a very strong show. The band was good but vocal were lacking.

* Bloc Party - Ended up seeing these guys 3 times. All three shows were really good, I like the last show at the Vice Party best, probably because of the free Sparks. I can see myself being really annoyed by them 6 months from now, but today I'm hooked.

* Calexico - I've seen the a couple times before and the shows ranked up there with some of the best I've ever seen. But the day show at Emos was weak. They were having sound problems and lacked the energy I've come to expect.

No comments: