Thursday, August 19, 2004

I Almost Saw a Pit Tonight

I went to room 710 tonight for a potluck of metal. Today the potluck turned up blood of the patriots. This was pretty much a stereotypical death metal band, with the thoaty devil like vocals. You had the typical Austinites getting into it and showing the old devil horns hand signal. At one point they started a mock mosh circle pit, which I must admit was fun to see. But it never amounted to anything. Which made me think that I haven't really seen/been in a pit in Austin besides one for some ska band with a drunk Josh.

It seems weird to me that in my younger punk days a pit was pretty much a natural thing. We would get so worked by the music that we were compelled to pogo around and slam into our best friend or whoever else was around.

What ever happened to moshing? Is it that the bands I chose to see nowadays don't lend themselves to it? It not cool any more and thought of as a joke like raising your lighter in the air or flashing the "metal" hand signal?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe Rockhead used to have a great pit.