Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead

Talking to Ben tonight he suggested I start blogging about the CDs I'm listening to. I'm amazed at how much great music has been put out this year. In years past, I've put out end of year best of lists without much detail about why a particular CD is on the list. The lists were self indulgent memory queues for me to reminisce about what I was listening to at a given time without any context for anyone else. Here's an attempt to put some context around the music I find special.

The Helio Sequence has been one such band for me since I first saw them open for Ugly Casanova at the Parrish. Benjamin played drums like an octopus with a flailing tongue and Brandon played wonderfully fuzzy guitar and screamed lyrics all the while their electronic loops filled in the spaces between their notes.

Their first three CD's followed a similar formula which I thoroughly enjoyed. Keep Your Eyes Ahead is a departure from their previous work. I read that Brandon had some issues with losing his voice and even having to relearn how to sing prior to Keep Your Eyes Ahead. The result is a more mature if mellower sound.

The first song Lately is the most beautiful post break up song I've heard. Most of the songs deal with the theme of solitary happiness. There is a richness to the songs now which grows from their maturity as musicians and song writers.

No comments: