Monday, November 17, 2008

Wilderness - (k)no(w)here

The Wilderness are one of my favorite bands from one of my favorite labels Jagjaguwar. It's impossible for me to be objective about Wilderness because I think they speak to me and only me. No one else can understand them like I do. To listen to them and appreciate them is to feel this way.

Objectively, their sound is reminiscent of PIL Second Edition. It can be discordant, challenging and emotive. Yet their sound to me is emotive and powerful, fresh and provocative. It requires repeated listening to the entirety. Though it's broken up into 8 songs, it's one piece. The crinkly crisp guitar, plodding bass and drum, emotive vocals build until the 6th and 7th tracks where the ugly and beauty become transcendent.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I would love to have seen the Charles Long installation the cd was created for. Have you seen this video from it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_smKO7vgm4

They're playing here in Austin next Thursday, and I can't wait to see them again.

And about your post on Will Smith in a remake of OldBoy, I'm with you, I don't see how that could work. The Vengeance Trilogy is one of my all time favorites I'd hate to see it cheapened with a sanitized blockbuster reinterpretation.