Tuesday, September 11, 2007

County Clare

On Sunday my dad, aunt Patty and I drove from Dublin to Spanish Point in County Clare. Here are my notes from the last couple days.

Driving.
  • The scenery along N7 which runs east-west across Ireland looks a lot like upstate New York. I can see why so many Irish settled there.
  • On the drive Patty filled us in on an article she read in the paper on "Stab City" aka Limerick. Apparently there is quite a bit of violent crime.
  • I thought I might die a gruesome death several times riding down R474. Tim did a great job of driving, but the roads are as narrow as the car we're driving. There was one bridge that would only allow one car through at a time. A couple times I suggested "Get in the middle" of the bridge. Finally, I could see this stone wall coming at me so I shouted "Get in the middle!" Thankfully Tim obliged.
Notes about County Clare.
  • We're staying at the Burke Armada hotel which is named after the Spanish Armada. The hotel is owned by Clare Burke, who's family has lived in County Clare for as far back as she knows. The hotel is named after the Spanish Armada which fought the English off the coast.
  • Clare's husband John opened the Armada as a small pub in the late 60's. Over time they added a little bit here and a little bit there. Now it's a huge hotel with over 100 rooms and a new addition starting later this year.
  • Clare was surprised when I asked about boxties, they're like potato crepes. I guess they haven't been made in a couple generations. I had some a Fado's in Austin, they're very tasty.
  • It's been wonderful sleeping with the windows open, letting in the cool ocean breeze and listening to the waves crashing on the shore.
  • In Doolin I ordered a cafe americano and asked for it in a to-go cup. The guy served it in a coffee cup. I asked if he has any cups I could use while I'm wandering around the town and he said, "That's the problem with you americans, you're always wandering." I think the tourist season is wearing on him a bit.
  • I found a map with Oola on it, this is the town where my great great grandfather came from. Tim was saying that it's kinda of far away from where we were and I said, "it's about an hour away. We've been waiting three generations to get there. It's not too far."
  • Riding the front upper deck of the ferry to Inisheer, Tim says, "Look out there's rainbows coming at us." Right before the splash hits our faces.
  • Priest I was talking to on the ferry, "You can't tell an Irishman what to do." Explaining why Ireland had stopped mandatory Irish in the schools. Irish is still taught in the better schools, so parents are putting their kids in those schools. But when it was forced on everyone it was a different story.
  • More to come....

No comments: